The brick church of the Polish Army

Tserkva of the Dormition of the Mother of God in Baligród

Oriented to the east, the temple was founded in 1829 on the site of an older building with a wooden structure. When, after World War II, temple items from other Bieszczady Orthodox churches liquidated as part of Operation Vistula were deposited there, the village was robbed by the forces of the Internal Security Corps. Reconstruction did not begin until the 21st century, when it became the seat of the Greek Catholic Field Ordinariate of the Polish Army. Although its furnishings have been destroyed or looted, it remains a beautiful example of Greek Catholic church architecture with a semicircular chancel, octagonal dome and screen belfry.

A view of a white, brick Orthodox church with a bell tower and a low stone wall
A view of the white, brick Orthodox church with a dome and a figure of Mary in the street's facade

Other attractions in the area